WorldWide Tech & Science. Francisco De Jesús.
Vertica Accelerates Big Data Analytics with Vertica 5.0
New Software Development Kit Enables Users, Developers and Partners to Take Full Advantage of Vertica’s Real-time Parallel Processing Engine for Big Data
BILLERICA, Mass., June 20, 2011
Vertica, an HP Company, today announced availability of Vertica 5.0, the latest version of the Vertica Analytics Platform, which offers greatly improved flexibility and real-time performance for customers’ most demanding business intelligence and analytic workloads.
The Vertica Analytics Platform analyzes data on a massive scale, with several customers analyzing more than a petabyte of data in real time. Vertica 5.0 delivers improved flexibility, extensibility and performance in how users analyze and manage their business-critical information by providing a software development kit (SDK). The kit provides the ability to customize and insert customer- and use case-specific query logic into the Vertica database for fully parallel execution.
“Catastrophic risk management is facing exploding demand for very large scale data sets to be analyzed quasi-real time through ever more complex algorithms,” said Philippe Stephan, chief technology officer at Risk Management Solutions (RMS), a leading provider of risk solutions for financial institutions. “RMS’ answer to this perfect storm relies on Vertica 5.0 and the SDK, resulting in phenomenal data and algorithmic scalability for the benefit of our most demanding customers.”
As part of the 5.0 release, Vertica is delivering greater analytical power, cloud enablement, availability and ease of use to the analytic marketplace:
- Software Development Kit. Vertica 5.0 provides users, developers and partners with a robust SDK to write custom methods for analyzing data directly in the Vertica database. Users can implement MapReduce and other user-defined functions through standard SQL queries.
- Enhanced Native In-Database Analytics. Extending Vertica’s implementation of standard SQL, new advanced native SQL analytic functions include Geospatial, Event-Series Pattern Matching, Event-Series Joins, and Advanced Aggregate Statistical and Regression.
- Performance Improvements. Extending Vertica’s lead in real-time analytics for real-world applications, Vertica 5.0 delivers performance enhancements throughout the Vertica Analytics Platform in areas such as subqueries, database statistics, lifecycle management, query optimization, data resegmentation and join filtering.
- Manageability Enhancements. Responding to the availability needs of mission-critical analytics at petabyte scale, Vertica 5.0 offers features that yield unique operational and disaster recovery capabilities while providing performance advantages as data replicas are fully available. In addition, Vertica’s backup capabilities have been expanded with greater operational flexibility and improved performance.
- Elasticity and Cluster Cloning. Vertica 5.0 delivers enhanced elasticity features that enable dynamic expansion and contraction of clusters over 20x faster in every deployment scenario – cloud, virtual and physical – allowing users to quickly create additional capacity as needed. In addition, Vertica 5.0 offers full cluster cloning capabilities for on-demand creation of Vertica databases for any workload with auto-sizing and auto-tuning across different topologies and physical designs. This allows users to quickly spin off subsets of their databases for analytical sandboxes or focused analysis of complex data.
“With this latest release of the Vertica Analytics Platform, we’ve focused on performance, manageability and extensibility for our customers,” said Shilpa Lawande, vice president, Engineering, Vertica. “Our new SDK empowers users, developers and partners to create custom analytics that can be called via a standard SQL query, taking full advantage of the performance and scalability of the Massively Parallel Processing columnar Vertica Analytics Platform.”
With the release of Vertica 5.0, Vertica extends its vision of Analytics Everywhere™, enabling customers to leverage all of their business-critical data from various structured, semi-structured and unstructured sources to make better informed decisions. Vertica 5.0 delivers the flexibility customers demand in order to monetize their data for today’s information economy.
Pricing and Availability
Vertica 5.0 is available immediately worldwide as a software download directly from Vertica, and will soon be available on the HP Vertica Analytics System, a fully integrated technology stack, based on HP Converged Infrastructure, including hardware, management software applications, consulting and HP Solution Support services. Pricing is based on a flexible licensing model calculated on the amount of data loaded into the Vertica Analytics Platform.
HP Vertica real-time analytics platform has more than 350 clients in a variety of industries, including finance, communications, online web and gaming, healthcare, consumer marketing and retail. Software such as the Vertica Analytics Platform is a critical element at the heart of HP’s growth strategy, outlined by HP President and Chief Executive Officer Léo Apotheker on March 14.
More information is available at www.vertica.com/vertica-5-0-software-release.
Vertica, an HP Company, is the leading provider of next-generation analytics platforms enabling companies to monetize their data at the speed and scale necessary to deliver significant value to customers and shareholders. Vertica’s scalability and flexibility are unmatched in the industry delivering 50x-1,000x faster performance at 30 percent the cost of traditional solutions. Vertica is used by customers worldwide including Groupon, Zynga, Verizon, Guess Inc., Capital IQ, Mozilla and Comcast.
HP creates new possibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people, businesses, governments and society. The world’s largest technology company, HP brings together a portfolio that spans printing, personal computing, software, services and IT infrastructure at the convergence of the cloud and connectivity, creating seamless, secure, context-aware experiences for a connected world. More information about HP (NYSE: HPQ) is available at http://www.hp.com.