WWDC2012: Apple announced SIRI on iPad and gets smarter, MacBook Pro Retina, Facetime over Cellular networks on iOS6,Facebook integration and more.
Today Apple announced at WWDC 2012 the version number 6 of its iOS which is coming in the fall to 2nd and 3rd Gen iPad, iPhone 3GS and later, and most recent iPod Touch.
A list of some of the newness:
·An updated version of Siri, Apple’s voice-controlled intelligent agent that can talk sports, provide more information about movies and restaurants thanks to partnerships with Rotten Tomatoes, Yelp and restaurant reservation outfit Open Table, and, most importantly, launch apps.
- Finally, Apple’s working with some car manufacturers
to add “eyes-free” Siri to their vehicles.
Apple says Siri integration coming in next 12 months to BMW, GM, Mercedes, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, Chryslter and Honda
· A new version of FaceTime that enables video chat over a cellular connection.
· An updated version of Mobile Safari .
· A new version of Photostream that enables the creation of shared photostreams.
· An updated Mail app that allows users to designate contacts as VIPs.
· Passbook: An app that manages movie tickets, boarding passes and gift cards.
· The new Apple-designed mapping application. The new Apple-designed mapping application features improved maps, turn-by-turn navigation, crowd-sourced traffic data, a lock-screen map view, Siri integration (“where can I get gas”), and Flyover — which provides maps with impressive 3D views buildings, etc.
· Guided access: A feature designed to make iOS apps more accessible to kids with autism.
· Apple's Scott Forstall says Apple has sold more than 365 million iOS devices through March 2012.
.Mountain Lion OS for Macs will be available next month for $19.99 . Apple OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion adds dictation, mute switch for notifications -