HP have just announced today that will shut down all the cloud services and support for WebOS mobile devices . The Palm Pre, Pre2 Pre 3, Veer, TouchPad are included on those mobiles.
For information and answers to FAQ , HP have posted them on the palm developer web site, that we re-post below:
FAQ - webOS Shutdown
Q: Why is HP shutting down webOS cloud services?
Q: What features will no longer function after the services are shut down?
Q: Will I get system updates?
Q: I purchased an app that isn’t on my device. Can I still retrieve the app?
Q: Can I restore an app?
Q: Can I restore my device from backup?
Q: Can I active or re-active a device?
Q: What happens if my device locks and I don't remember the password?
Cloud services support for webOS devices will be ending on January 15, 2015. We appreciate our customer's loyalty the webOS platform. But now, more than three (3) years after the last device was sold, only a small fraction of the devices are still connecting. Therefore, the time has come to shut down the services.
All devices running webOS devices will continue to run after the cloud services are terminated. However, they will no longer be able to:
- Download new apps or updates. The HP App Catalog will be unavailable after the shutdown
- Backup or restore devices from the cloud
- Setup new devices
- Recover lost passwords
What this means to you:
- The HP App Catalog will stop supporting new app purchases on November 1, 2014
- Updates may be posted by developers until November 10, 2014 and users can download any available updates until the services shut down
- You should make arrangements to backup or transfer your contacts, etc.prior to the service shutdown on January 15, 2015
- You will no longer be able to backup, restore, reset or initialize a webOS device as of January 15, 2015
There will be additional reminders as the final shutdown approaches. An FAQ can be found at
10/15/14 Announcement to users and developers
11/1/14 New app purchases end
11/10/14 App update submissions end
1/15/15 Public shutdown of services
HP webOS Cloud Services.