WorldWide Tech & Science. Roberto Gómez.
Verizon Wireless, starting April 28,will offer the Samsung’s First 4G LTE smartphone, Droid Charge:
4.3-inch Super AMOLED Plus display,
rear-facing 8-megapixel camera with LED flash ,
front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera that can be used for still photos as well as video chats.
A 1 GHz application processor powers the device and an HTML 5 Web browser "maximizes high-speed 4G LTE connectivity for faster downloads and graphics processing."
Speed demons, be ready to test Verizon Wireless' 4G LTE claims: "Customers can expect download speeds of 5 to 12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G Mobile Broadband coverage area."
The phone runs on Android 2.2, which will open you up to instant access to all manner of Google Mobile Services, such as Gmail, YouTube, Google Search, Google Maps and the 150,000-and-climbing apps available for download through the Android Market.
The DROID Charge includes:
- Adobe Flash Player compatible
- Mobile Hotspot capability – Share 4G connection with up to 10 Wi-Fi-enabled devices or a 3G connection with up to 5 devices
- Samsung Media Hub – Samsung’s content service offering films and TV programs for rent or purchase
- Virtual QWERTY keyboard featuring Swype technology
· The DROID Charge will cost you $299.99 (with a new two-year customer agreement) and if you don't already have a voice plan, you'll need to get one, as well as a 4G LTE data package, which starts at $29.99 a month for unlimited use. (Nationwide Talk plans begin at $39.99 a month.) Also a bonus: A Mobile Hotspot feature will be included for a limited time at no additional charge.
The DROID Charge will join Verizon Wireless' 8 smartphones and two tablets that currently run on the Android platform. Right now, Verizon Wireless has one 4G LTE smartphone: the ThunderBolt by HTC. At CES in January, the company announced that it would release four 4G LTE smartphones this year. Two down, two more to go: the LG Revolution and DROID Bionic by Motorola (which will be delayed until the summer, according to the Wall Street Journal, via MobileBeat).
Verizon Wireless announced today that it sold more than two million iPhone 4s in half a quarter. Also: in less than a month it sold more than 500,000 4G devices, which include the ThunderBolt and 4G LTE data devices like mobile hotspots and USB modems